Activity Leader (AL)
The Activity Leader (AL) is responsible for the smooth and successful delivery of the activities programme co-ordinated by the Activity Co-ordinator (ACO/SAL). The role of the AL is pivotal to the promotion and delivery of the activity programme, ensuring students are will motivated and all activities are run to a high standard. Attendance of Training Days is essential.
Activity Leaders work up to a maximum of 48 hours a week over a six-day week, and all full-time staff receive one full day off per week. There are both residential and non-residential positions. Residential positions will include all meals and accommodaiton.
You will be required to sign a form declaring details of any criminal convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings, and any other information that may have bearing on your suitability for the post. Please find the Declaration on the Job Offers page. Please note all references will be followed up.
All Activity Leaders must have read and understood the MLI Induction and Training Manual and be fully conversant with our policies for the welfare and protection of children. At all times whilst on duty, you are responsible for the care, welfare and safety of students whilst ensuring they are following school rules.
Activities and Excursions
- Prepare for all your activity and excursion sessions thoroughly. Preparation time can be considerable if you are to ensure the success of the timetabled session.
- Having all equipment and decorations, if appropriate, set up before students arrive.
- Having considered all potential hazards concerning Health & Safety according to MLI guidelines, make necessary provisions to avoid accidents.
- Knowing necessary instructions/directions before session start time.
- Ensure you have a list of students that are present in your session and maintain accurate registers of their attendance.
- Encourage the involvement of students in activities and event, leading by example.
- Actively take part in sports and other activity sessions with students.
- Look after the materials.equipment and ensure they are returned at the end of each activity.
- Escort groups on excursions and ensure the safety and welfare of the students, as well as providing them with information to help them get the maximum benefit from their stay.
- Complete feedback form on each session for the Activity Co-ordinator.
- Assist with airport transfers and student arrivals and departures.
- Assist with centre administration as directed.
- Assist in closing the centre and returning equipment.
- Additional duties as required.
|Leaving Certificate||Previous experience working with children/teenagers|
|Ability to motivate and enjoy working with large groups of children/teenagers||Competent sports person with excellent knowledge of rules and organisation of sports/games|
|Excellent communication skills and excellent level of fluency in English||Occupational First Aid Qualification|
|Enthusiasm and team player||Previous summer school experience|
|18 years of age and over||Experience and interest in related subjects e.g. sports, drama, arts and crafts etc.|
|Excellent organisation skills||Lifeguard/Coaching Qualification|
|Ability to work in a high pressure environment|